Today is Blog Day. What is Blog day, you ask? Well, you can read all about it here, but the basic point is to point people to 5 new blogs to read, preferably blogs outside your own particular culture or world view.
So, here are five blogs that you may be surprised that I'm subscribed to:
1. I do read your basic techie geek blogs...which sometimes seem as far outside the realm of hip & zen as they can be. What do I mean by techie geek blogs? TechCrunch, Valleywag, Dave Winer, Robert Scoble...them and a bunch of other mostly white guys that sometimes seem to be nothing more than participants in one big Silicon Valley echo chamber, but generally keep me plugged in to the latest, greatest, and sometimes just snarkiest goings on here.
2. AskPatty.com is a site about the automotive world, with a focus on women as purchasers, maintainers (and even dealers) if cars. And they have a blog. When I had my Audi A4 I was surprisingly into my car, and when I gave it up I was very sad. I still miss my Audi, even though I must admit that Saturns have been very very good to me.
3. OK, it's not too surprising that I read The Offbeat Bride, given my impending nuptials. And given my general resistance to the idea of the traditional bridezilla behavior and accompanying anxiety. But even if you're not getting married, I think Ariel Meadow Stallings' focus on doing things your own way, even if that's off the beaten path, can apply to even the non-brides amongst us.
4. I don't know Erica Barnett, I've never met Erica Barnett, but her blog I'm Sick of Your Insane Demands! rocks my world. She is a sharp, unafraid feminist who highlights some of the still-outrageous stuff that we are otherwise in danger of becoming inured to.
5. Tara Hunt from HorsePigCow is also perhaps not surprising, since she writes about marketing and online community and the internet, sort of like I do on my blog Worker Bees, but unlike me Tara writes consistently and substantively and I often marvel and wonder how on earth she keeps it up. So, clearly there's something about her approach that is far beyond my ken, since I think I've posted in WB twice this month or something abysmal like that. Check her out.
In fact, check them all out! Now! It's Blog Day for another few hours, m'kay?