Today I received my third delivery from Organic Express, so I figured it was about time for a service review.
Organic Express is a WebVan-like service that delivers fresh organic produce to your door.
There are several aspects to the service that are extremely attractive:
- You can choose a $29 or a $39 box to be delivered every other week.
- You can pre-define fruits and vegetables that you just don't like.
- You can go in each time before your delivery, see what they plan to send you, review alternative choices and customize the order.
- Finally, you can add on other organic grocery products from a long list...things like breads, salad dressings, juices, condiments, pastas and more.
- They will leave the delivery at your door, rather than requiring you to be home.
Each of those features are extremely convenient fopr someone like me: a finicky person who doesn't like to answer the door while I'm working away at home in my pajamas (typical blogger, yes, I know.)
The main reason I started this service is to somehow get myself to eat more fresh foods and more fruits and especially vegetables. I am the microwave queen, and the prepared foods queen. And it just ain't healthy enough...I should eat a lot healthier, especially given my vegtarianism.
Results: well I would have to admit that every other Friday when the delivery shows up there is some portion of the previous delivery that didn't get eaten, and hasn't stayed good. But overall I would also have to say that I am making more of an effort to fit in the fruits and vegetables glaring at me from the counter and the fridge.
And the service...I like it pretty well. The quality? I don't have a breadth of experience with organic fruits and vegetables, so it seems fine to me too.
I think there may be one or two competitors in the San Francisco Bay Area...anyone else tried any other similar service and have some feedback?